implementation of WebService

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Hello,
And congratulation for your Abstraction layer , it seems very promising..

I am trying to create a webservice to serve the data and i am having some troubles to achieve it ,
Do you have a concrete sample of how to set up correctly this feature ??

Thank you in advance
Coordinator
Jun 22, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Sorry I didnt reply, I had the send-email option switched off by accident. Do you still need help?

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Hi Jeremy,
I too think that this is one of the most promising ORM and code generation packages I have come across for my purposes.  I would also like to see an example of a wcf service CRUD implementation using the generated business objects.  Do you have an example of this scenario that you could post?

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Hello tleeming,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

On the client end there are 2 web-based drivers for a client to use (called CWebSrcBinary and CWebSrcSoap), and these run as a webservice and webpage respectively, see: ~/Framework/classes/drivers/.

On the server end, these are implemented using the classes in the /webservices subfolder, called CWebPage and CWSDataSrc respectively. Just create a page or webservice and change the base class to inherit from one of those.

I would expect that once you have that working , it would be quite straightforward to modify how stuff works, e.g. there are a number of ways of doing security, e.g. including moving to wcf. To create a wcf version, just implement the interface like the other two do, mapping the method calls straight thru to the equivalent methods on your local data source.

If you are successful and send me the source, I can add it to the project. Otherwise I will make a note to add that sometime, sounds useful. Alternatively, if you are in a hurry and willing to make a small payment, I can do it tonightJ

Regards,

Jeremy

Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2009 8:12 p.m.
To: postage@ihug.co.nz
Subject: Re: implementation of WebService [Picasso:44445]

Hi Jeremy,
I too think that this is one of the most promising ORM and code generation packages I have come across for my purposes. I would also like to see an example of a wcf service CRUD implementation using the generated business objects. Do you have an example of this scenario that you could post?

Thanks

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Picasso@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Picasso@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.386 / Virus Database: 270.13.7/2222 - Release Date: 07/09/09 18:07:00

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Thanks Jeremy,

I'm new to wcf services and OR mapping, so it will take me a while to digest this.

BTW I had to change a bit of code in the CodeGenerator in CTableInformation.vb at line 289 so that it also checks if the db is Oracle.  Otherwise when I go to generate from Oracle tables it will try and add [ ] around the table name.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Hello again,

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get very far with this.  While I can follow the code in isolation I am struggling to understand how it all fits together and how I can implement the relevant bits in my own solution.  I guess what I need is a small Visual Studio solution that ties it all together from the UI right through to the data access layer (via wcf web services), but that's probably asking  a bit much (unless you have one handy?). 

Thanks

Tony

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Hello,

Did you download the source code i.e. sourcecode.zip?

That is a complete solution, including 3 example database schemas and one example xml schema, plus a very basic website with a few pages like an audit trail, etc. There is also some technical instructions on the site, including how to get started etc.

If you are struggling, I suggest you take a close look at how the sample website works, and if you still need help then I am happy to spend some time doing tuition over skype, or on the phone, for a modest fee. Where are you located i.e. what time zone?

Regards,

Jeremy

Sent: Wednesday, 15 July 2009 7:54 p.m.

Hello again,

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get very far with this. While I can follow the code in isolation I am struggling to understand how it all fits together and how I can implement the relevant bits in my own solution. I guess what I need is a small Visual Studio solution that ties it all together from the UI right through to the data access layer (via wcf web services), but that's probably asking a bit much (unless you have one handy?).

Thanks

Tony

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Picasso@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Picasso@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Version: 8.5.387 / Virus Database: 270.13.14/2238 - Release Date: 07/14/09 18:03:00

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Thanks very much for your help Jeremy.  I might take you up on your offer - I just have to talk to my manager.  I've had a look at the source code and it makes sense, but it would be quicker to get started if I had some help.  I'm in Perth, Western Australia.  Can you give me an idea of what you would charge (and how we would make the transaction) for over the phone tuition?

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hello tleeming,

I am pleased that you are interested in doing some tuition by phone, and I look forward to speaking with you.

I can charge for any consulting including phone tuition or development work on an hourly basis (i.e. in units of 1/4hr).

Let’s call the first 15mins free and without obligation, and maybe that will be enough to get you going.

If you need further help, I can accept payments via Paypal e.g. by sending you a payment request via email, or by direct debit to a NZ account.

How does 100AUD/hr sound? The best times for me to connect by phone is afternoon/evening (Perth time).

Regards,

Jeremy Connell

+64-21-252-6835

Sent: Friday, 17 July 2009 8:16 p.m.

Thanks very much for your help Jeremy. I might take you up on your offer - I just have to talk to my manager. I've had a look at the source code and it makes sense, but it would be quicker to get started if I had some help. I'm in Perth, Western Australia. Can you give me an idea of what you would charge (and how we would make the transaction) for over the phone tuition?

No virus found in this incoming message.
Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.19/2244 - Release Date: 07/17/09 18:00:00

Coordinator
Jul 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I have now added a WCF-based driver to the Framework project. I have also added 3 example services/pages to the Website project, implementing each of the 3 remote driver options (binary/soap/wcf).

To configure a client, provide a url (to the deployed website) for the app-settings "ConnectionString", and either "wcf", "webservice", or "webpage" for the app-settings "driver".

Note - the WCF option differs from the other two remote drivers in that it doesnt provide any compression or encryption, which is instead delegated to the WCF systems, which must be configured separately.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:05 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM

That sounds fine Jeremy.  I'm afraid that since I work for a bureaucracy I need to get more details from you before we can proceed, and it's probably best if we don't do that on the discussion forum.  If this is OK could you please contact me at <email>.